Barbara Selkirk Qualified ACMA and ACIS   Accountant   offers  IT  expert proactive  accountancy  services  to   new  or  ongoing  small  businesses, sole traders, clubs  and small limited companies. 





PAYE Services

Limited Company

Bookkeeping Service

Corporation Tax Return

Tax Advice

Useful Links

Contact Us





Purchase Day Book


Sales Day Book


Completion of VAT Return



BSW Accounting Services


Ballards Place


Tenbury Wells

Worcs WR15 8JR

Tel : - 01584 814594



VAT Services – The Basics


Value Added Tax (VAT) is a tax that's charged on most goods and services that VAT-registered businesses provide in the UK. It's also charged on goods and some services that are imported from countries outside the European Union (EU), and brought into the UK from other EU countries.


BSW Accountancy Services can help you decide if you should you be registered for VAT.


VAT is charged when a VAT-registered business sells to either another business or to a non-business customer.


When VAT-registered businesses buy goods or services they can generally reclaim the VAT they've paid.


There are three rates of VAT, depending on the goods or services the business provides. The rates are:

  • Standard – 2009 15 percent, 2010 17.5%, 2011 20%
  • Reduced – 2009   5 percent
  • Zero        – 2009   0 percent


There are also some goods and services that are:

  • Exempt from VAT
  • Outside the UK system altogether


When you must register for VAT


If you're a business and the goods or services you provide count as what's known as 'taxable supplies' (see 'What is VAT charged on' below) you'll have to register for VAT if either:

  • Your turnover for the previous 12 months has gone over a specific limit – called the ‘VAT threshold’ – for  2009 it is £68,000
  • You think your turnover will soon go over this limit


You can choose to register for VAT if you want, even if you don't have to.


BSW Accountancy Services can show you how to maintain your book-keeping tasks and complete your VAT return in Excel on your behalf or we can review your book-keeping and file the VAT return for you. We will advise you with regard to the different accounting options available. Should you be registered for VAT and how to register. Whether the accruals or cash accounting basis is the best option. Or quarterly or annual accounting suits the business and cash flow best.


















Site Map